Plymouth’s original Christian Science church, erected in 1903 on the present site of the
Plymouth City Hall, was the first edifice built in Michigan expressly for Christian Science services. Its members, mainly from Plymouth and Northville, had been meeting for some years, first in homes and later in a hall.
Organization as First Church of Christ, Scientist, was completed at the meeting held April 26, 1898, and activity on the building project started the following year. Ground for Plymouth’s first Christian Science Church building was broken at a cornerstone laying ceremony held at sunrise June 17, 1903. Several of the Northville members walked the four miles to the scene because the interurban connecting the two towns did not run at that early hour-6:00 a.m.
The church, finished and paid for, was dedicated at two services October 10, 1903. When the original church was razed, more that 50 years later, its cornerstone,a block of granite from
Concord, N.H., near the birthplace of Mary Baker Eddy, was moved to a spot near the cornerstone of the present church.
On file in our archives in the Clerk’s office is a detailed account of the planning, financing, and building of the present church, where services were first held on October 19, 1958.